Projects That Require a Building Permit
A building permit is a commitment to safety. The Ontario Building Code Act requires that you obtain a building permit before starting construction. By applying for a building permit, you ensure that your project meets building code, fire, health, and safety standards.
- New buildings or structures greater than 10 square metres (108 ft²) in total floor area, measured by the outside dimensions, or any size if they include services. This includes sheds, sleeping cabins or other accessory buildings or structures, including sheds and shed packages purchased from a store.
- Additions to existing buildings or structures.
- New or replacement decks.
- Wood burning appliances, including new or replacement of existing components.
- Replacement of windows or doors if the rough opening size is enlarged.
- Relocation or addition of plumbing fixtures.
- Replacement of interior water supply or drain pipes.
- Solar panels on new or existing structures that did or would require a permit.
- Permanent structure greenhouses.
- Quonset huts and pre-engineered metal buildings.
- Repair or replacement of all types of building foundations.
- Note that load bearing cement slabs for all houses or for garages greater than 576 sq ft require engineered design.
Projects that DO NOT Require a Building Permit
- Accessory buildings (1 storey) with a total floor area of 10 square metres (108 ft²) or less. Note: Zoning Bylaw requirements must be followed.
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilet, sink, bathtub, shower, hot water tank) in their original locations.
- Replacement of windows or doors provided the rough opening size does not change.
How much does a building permit cost?
Class of Building or Structure
Cost per Square Foot
|Residential Buildings/Seasonal Dwellings, Guest & Additions||$1.00 per sq. ft. per floor
$0.80 per sq. ft. of basement
|Farm/Commercial/Industrial||$0.60 per sq. ft. per floor|
|Garages, Decks, Porches, Accessory and Detached Buildings||$0.50 per sq. ft. per floor|
|(2% of value, based on $50.00 per sq. ft. for value or builders value whichever is higher “on all projects”)||$150.00 + 2% construction value|
|Residential/Seasonal Residential/Farm Commercial/Industrial/Garages/Decks/
Renovations/Accessory and Unattached
|MINIMUM CHARGE $200.00|
|Change of Use
(Where no construction is carried out)
|Plumbing||$100.00 plus $10.00 per fixture|
|Wood Burning Stoves & Chimney Installation||$150.00|
(Private or Public in-ground only)
|Solar Panels (Roof Mounts only)||$100.00 + $10.00 per
$1,000.00 of value or any part there-of
|a) Class 2 System (grey water)||$600.00|
|b) Class 3 System (cesspool)||$600.00|
|c) Class 4, 5 System daily flow not > 4500 Litres||$600.00|
|d) Class 4, 5 System daily flow 4500 liters to 10,000 liters||$600.00|
|e) Repair to Sewage System||$300.00|
|Construction Started Without Permit||$400.00|
|Re-inspection Fee (Work not completed for inspection)||$100.00|
|Communications Towers, Wind Turbine,Walls, etc.||$100.00 + 2% of value|
|Administration Fee (review application for completion)||$150.00|
|Building Permit Renewal||$150.00|
(On New Residential Project over $50,000.00 in value)
What happens if I build without a permit?
As a property owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained, even if you’re hiring a builder or contractor. If you’re unsure whether you need a permit, contact the Building Department to find out. The Building Bylaw and the Ontario Building Code Act have penalties of up to $50,000 upon conviction for illegal construction. We charge an additional $400 administration fee on permits if started without a permit. We also have a $1000 Provincial Offences Ticket for infractions.
Building Permits Documents
- Building Permit Application2017-01-24